cyg1.7 - DOS character remapping: change request.

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Nov 24 20:01:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 23 20:29, Linda Walsh wrote:
>
>> Eric Blake wrote:

>>> According to Linda Walsh on 11/23/2009 4:59 PM:

>>> But then, how would you distinguish between the valid UTF-16 replacement
>>> used to represent an invalid character, and a valid UTF-16 character
>>> representing itself?  I'm sorry, but the value of a 1-to-1 round trip
>>> mapping outweighs the convenience of displaying a glyph that looks the
>>> same but causes ambiguous round trip conversions.
>>>
>> ----
>>
>> 	You've already broken 1-to-1 round trip compatibility by NOT
>> using an **INVALID** UTF-16 character.  You are using "the 0xf000-0xf0ff
>>

> There is no invalid UTF-16.  There could be invalid UTF-32, but that's
> not used by Windows.

Isolated surrogates are invalid UTF-16. Low surrogates could be used for
this purpose, don't know if that was already discussed as an alternative.
>> range.  This range is part of the UNICODE block 95, "Private Use Area".
>> These are *valid* unicode characters -- they are just NOT reserved for
>> a particular application.  This means they will be displayed randomly
>> and CAN be used by other applications
>>

> Right, and we use them to map characters from the base plane.  There's
> no area in the entire Unicode plane which would not conflict one way or
> the other.  We're using the same mapping as Interix does, so we're at
> least compatible with one other product.
Which is a convincing argument since this choice is kind of native...