[1.7] Accented characters don't work

lemkemch@t-online.de lemkemch@t-online.de
Sun Nov 29 03:01:00 GMT 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:16:44 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> --- Sab 28/11/09, lemkemch  ha scritto:
>
>> > and the Cygwin console. Urxvt and xterm require an X
>> server.
>>
>> And that I really don't like.  Way too complex for my
>> taste for the
>> simple task of popping up a text window.
>> >

> mintty is the right tool for replacing rxvt for not X11.
>
> on XP I have no problem to build a file like
> $ touch ÄÄÆÉßÌ
>
> and to have exactly the same on explorer and from
> cmd.

I just gave it a try.  It seemed to have solved the character
problem but I now have a not responding mintty window.  I
started mintty from the rxvt window and tried to send
it to the background with CTRL/D (which is what I have mapped
susp to).  mintty didn't go into the background so I CTRL/C'ed
it in rxvt.  That freed up the rxvt prompt but didn't kill the
mintty process.  The window still hangs around with that
(Not Responding) headline.

I guess I stick with old trusty rxvt and skip this new fangled
utf-8 stuff.  But how do I get back a pure C locale?  I also
want ls -l to output the old standard date format.  So
setenv LANG C.what?  C.ISO-8859-15 is kind of nice (the accented
chars display fine) but ls then shows the iso-type date format.

Thanks,
Michael