wise way to install cygwin packages

Thu Oct 8 04:52:00 GMT 2009

On 10/08/2009 12:25 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 20:41:53 +0800
> Steven Woody wrote:
>> 3. So, after I do some other clicks to really deselect the PB, I have
>> to go back to deselect PA again!
>> This make the operation very very hard to perform.
>
> I agree.  And even for simple operations I find it a bother to have to
> start up a gui to install a package or check for updates.
>
> It would be great to have a command-line package management tool. For
> example, if yum were ported to Cygwin, for the case you cite, you could
> do this:
>
> $ yum remove PA PB
>
> I would love to make a contribution like porting yum.  (But don't wait
> for me.)

I believe the current answer to both of these needs is the setup program
for the upcoming Cygwin 1.7 release <http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe>.
'setup-1.7.exe -h' shows you the command line options and has a convenient
'-P' switch to allow you to specify the packages you want to install.  Sorry, no
"All" or "All minus foo, bar".  The setup program for Cygwin 1.5 also has some
command line options (though they print to "setup.log") but the "-P" is missing.

Holliston, MA 01746