[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty-0.5.1-1

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:56:00 GMT 2009

2009/10/16 Warren Young:
> Well, on Linux consoles, the term type is "linux".  Presumably this is one
> of the reasons they felt they needed a separate term type.
>
> Maybe MinTTY should be emulating something other than xterm, which doesn't
> have this backspace problem?  I don't mean something vastly different, just
> something else in the ANSI/VT100 zoo.

This isn't so much an issue of terminal type, as of the choice of
default for a particular system and package. xterm has build options
either way.

> Obviously you're responding to some user reported bug, so here's a better
> question: how does Emacs handle C-h on Linux under xterm?

xterm on Linux is usually configured to send ^? by default, and its
termcap/terminfo entries are configured accordingly. Cue hilarity when
connecting from a system with a ^H xterm. Much the same for any other
terminal.

Andy