R: Cygwin 1.5 vs. 1.7: tail

Roland Schwingel roland.schwingel@onevision.de
Wed Oct 28 11:15:00 GMT 2009

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply.

Marco Atzeri <marco_atzeri@yahoo.it> wrote on 28.10.2009 12:05:09:
 > --- Mer 28/10/09, Roland Schwingel  ha scritto:
 >
 > > Hi...
 > >
 > > At present I am using cygwin 1.5 mainly, but I have also
 > > started to migrate over to 1.7. Everything works quite well,
 > > but I encountered a problem with the tail command. Obviously
 > > the + syntax does no longer work in 1.7
 > >
 > > In 1.5 when I call eg.
 > > tail +3 /path/to/some/file
 > >
 > > I get the whole file printed starting with line 3 (the
 > > first 2 lines are omitted). With cygwin 1.7 this does no
 > > longer work.
 > > I get an error:
 > > tail: cannot open '+3' for reading: No such file or
 > > directory.
 > >
 > > Is this on purpose or an accident?
 >
 > the manual says
 > tail -N +3 /path/to/some/file
You mean
tail -n +3 /path/to/some/file
If  I do that it will work fine.

I just wonder it this change was on purpose or not, because the other
form (without -n) still work on other systems like mac/linux. I do share
my scripts across several platforms. And these particular tail line
haven't changes for ages here.

Roland