text emacs issues and solution

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Oct 28 12:21:00 GMT 2009

On 10/28/2009 1:52 AM, Kurt Harriger wrote:
> I was having some trouble with text based emacs under cygwin.
> The C-x C-c to exit was for some reason being interpreted as C-x C-g.
> After some googling around I found that export CYGWIN=tty seemed to fix the key
> sequence, however this also introduced new problems.

The problem with the key sequence only occurs in the cygwin console.
You can avoid it by setting CYGWIN=tty *before* starting the console (in
Cygwin.bat, for instance).  Alternatively, use a different terminal
(mintty or rxvt).  These and other suggestions can be found in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README (cygwin 1.7 only).

Ken