Cygwin 'find' does not support the '-L' predicate?

Lee Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Sat Sep 5 06:20:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 12:23:10AM -0400, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>
>> Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>>> According to Lee Rothstein on 9/4/2009 9:50 PM:

>>> Pilot error.  -L works just fine.
>>>
>> I got the terminiology all wrong but find on my system does not allow -L
>>
>> Here what works:
>>
>>    # '-follow' is supposed to be deprecated, but the replacement
>>    # '-L' specified in 'man' and 'info' pages does not appear to
>>    # exist in Cygwin 'find' version 4.5.4
>>    find "$PWD" -maxdepth 1 -type f -follow -executable | gawk '
>>
>> If I replace '-follow' with '-L' it tells me :
>>
>> find: unknown predicate `-L'
>>

> That's because, as the man page says, the -L has to come first.  You
> can't replace the -follow with -L.  It has to be:
>
> find -L "$PWD" -maxdepth 1 ...

That doesn't work either.

'-L' for 4.5.4 does not work anywhere on the command line. '-L' is not
required (in my application)
if '-follow' works, and it does. However, the man/info page says that
'-L' should work, and '-follow'
is deprecated.