syntax for Cygwin bash invoking Win apps

Wed Sep 9 16:10:00 GMT 2009

On 09/09/2009 11:27 AM, Ziser, Jesse wrote:

<snip>

> Huh?  Last time I checked, bash translates "\"abc\"" to "abc".

Yeah, I don't know what test I did last night that made me think this was
right for
bash.  The lesson here is that I shouldn't try a bunch of tests quickly late
at night. ;-)

<snip>

> Does "handles quoting" mean that it implements the "Quoting" section, and
> only that section, of the bash manpage?  I just need to know exactly what
> it does.  It clearly does not *only* do quoting.  That's why I
> demonstrated the asterisk example.  It is doing at least wildcard
> expansion in addition to quoting.  What else is it doing?  I'm trying to
> figure this out so I know how to properly escape or quote a general
> command in order to execute it from a Windows application without any
> unexpected changes.

Yeah, actually I'm not sure I understand what's behind this unpredictable
behavior
either.  I'd tend to agree with Chris' thought here.  It would take more
investigation
to track down what's really going on here.

Holliston, MA 01746