locale issue? cygwin 1.7, aspell 0.60, reproducible crash

Thrall, Bryan bryan.thrall@flightsafety.com
Thu Sep 10 22:56:00 GMT 2009

Josh Berdine wrote on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:46 PM:
> "Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
>> Looks like foo.txt has Windows line endings; try running 'd2u
foo.txt'
>> and then aspell again.
>
> Thanks, but after changing to unix line endings I see the same
behavior.
> Same for checking the empty file.
>
> Also, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ is actually populated with what seem to be
the
> correct files, and I have reinstalled the aspell package.

Ah well, the '^M' and the funky "Unhandled error" line wrap pointed at
the common Windows line endings problem, but it did seem strange that it
caused aspell to crash. Perhaps the line ending is somewhere else, like
an aspell configuration file (I don't really know anything about aspell)
or (going out on a WAG here) LANG, LC_TYPE, or LC_ALL are getting
Windows line endings in their value (such as if they are set in
cygwin.bat and it was edited by a Windows text editor)?

--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International