cygwin Digest 10 Sep 2009 16:45:51 -0000 Issue 6623

Kit Johnson subscribed@fmail.co.uk
Fri Sep 11 11:05:00 GMT 2009

> 2009/9/10 Kit Johnson:
>> Thanks so much for taking the time to help.  This is the first time I've
>> used a mailing list so I hope I've replied correctly.
>>

> Yep, except you replied to me instead of the list. ;)

I hope I got the right address this time!
> Are you running the Cygwin 1.7 beta? 1.5 doesn't support locales.
> ('uname -r' will tell you.)

I've just upgraded to the beta version (1.7.0).

I understand your comments.  This is now in my cygwin.bat file
(definitely for the correct, beta, installation):
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cyg\bin
set LANG=th_TH.UTF-8
bash --login -i

And these lines in my .bashrc file (also definitely the correct
installation):

alias ls='ls -hF --color=tty --show-control-chars'                 #
classify files in colour
export LANG="th_TH.UTF-8"

And yet it's still not listing unicode characters properly.  Now that
I've upgraded, it's not giving any warning messages ("ls: cannot access
???????????????? : No such file or directory.")
when running 'ls' in a folder with Thai filenames.  It's just listing
????.doc or whatever.

I cannot see the solution but would be really grateful if someone else
can.  It's a pretty critical feature for me to get working if I want to
use cygwin.