cygwin Digest 10 Sep 2009 16:45:51 -0000 Issue 6623

Kit Johnson subscribed@fmail.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 03:08:00 GMT 2009

> However, since presumably you're using a Thai version of Windows, you
> might have more success with trying different fonts.

Actually I'm using a normal version of windows.  I've never seen anyone
use a Thai version...perhaps it's not available.
> If not, you should try the 'mintty' terminal instead of the standard
> Cygwin console. This definitely does support Thai characters and is
> able to use a greater range of fonts than the console.
>
> The stable version 0.4.4 can be installed through Cygwin's setup.exe,
> but version 0.5 makes it much easier to set up the locale and
> character set. Choose them on the 'Text' pane of its options dialog,
> and the LANG variable will be set accordingly. Mintty 0.5-beta2 is
> available from http://mintty.googlecode.com.

That's done the trick, and was very easy and user-friendly.  I can even
type in Thai!  Good idea to add /bin to the windows Path variable; I
hadn't thought of that.  I love the transparency too!

Thanks so much for your help.