cygdrive prefix

Larry Hall (Cygwin) reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com
Thu Sep 17 18:55:00 GMT 2009


On 09/17/2009 12:32 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Schulman
> <schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov>  wrote:
>
>> Personally I like /win/c etc., but sure, I guess you could put
>>
>> none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
>>
>> into /etc/fstab and get /c, /d, etc.
>
>
> There is a huge downside to this. I tried it.  It totally broke all my
> projects using CVS, because /cygdrive no longer existed, and all my
> CVS projects used /cygdrive/f/CVSROOT as the Root
>
> So try/use at your own risk!  I think symbolic links are the way to go.

While I'm not suggesting that people should reassign their "cygdrive" prefix
to "/", I think the problem you saw in your case is a result of having set
CVS up when your setting was still "cygdrive" and the disconnect you get
now that it isn't.  So I believe you'd see the same problem no matter what
you changed "cygdrive" to.  Obviously, as you point out, symbolic links are
a good alternative in this case.

-- 
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

_____________________________________________________________________

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
 >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list