[1.7] gvim "Cannot fork" error

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 21 23:42:00 GMT 2009


On 21/09/2009 09:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> gdb said that the failure was coming from libxcb-1.dll so I rebuilt
> libxcb-1.dll with debugging information and with a version of
> libcygwin.a containing debugging symbols.

Wait, did I just hear an argument for split debug packages? :-)

> The fix for the problem wasn't immediately obvious and it is very hacky.
> I hope it can be removed in a couple of years when everything that was
> built using a buggy version of libcygwin.a is gone.  The problem came
> from one of the X libraries that, if it had been relinked recently,
> would not have manifested a problem.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I
> didn't record which library had the problem, though.  Tracking it down
> in gdb proved to be sort of time-consuming and now the window with the
> information is gone.
>
> I can say that any DLL built with cygwin-1.7.0-51 - cygwin-1.7.0-56
> is probably suspect.  That's 2009-07-13 - 2009-08-13 .

Among the X.Org libraries, only libxcb and libX11 were built with those 
versions.  I am in the process of rebuilding both now.


Yaakov

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list