Fw: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

Wed Sep 23 15:30:00 GMT 2009

On 09/23/2009 11:01 AM, Dave M wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I checked that readme file. Um, I am not sure what it is telling me, it
> is  not really laid out step by step. I think it would be more useful if I read
> it from the bottom to the top. But still, I THINK I did everything it
> suggested. I had run ssh-host-config before, today I ran ssh-user-config and
> made SYSTEM the owner of /var/empty and checked the permissions on the
> sshd_server account (the host-config script had set them correctly, I didn't
> have to do anything to the account privileges).

SYSTEM is the proper owner for XP and W2K.  For later WIndows versions, it's
cyg_server.  See ssh-host-config and related scripts for all the details.
Since it's
not possible to know what you've done in the process of playing around with
this,
you'll need to manually check all the permissions and ownerships of files
mentioned
in the scripts to make sure they are set as they are supposed to be.  This
is why
using the scripts is highly recommended.  It's allot less work and
error-prone. ;-)

<snip>

>    Also, every time I log in to the bash shell, I get this:
> Your group is currently "mkgroup".  This indicates that
> the /etc/group (and possibly /etc/passwd) files should be rebuilt.
> See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
> mkpasswd -l [-d]>  /etc/passwd
> mkgroup  -l [-d]>  /etc/group
> Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
>    I have run:
> mkpasswd -l>  /etc/passwd
> mkgroup  -l>  /etc/group
> Both successfully (in that order) and the contents of those files "look"
> right, but I still keep getting that message. I don't know if this is
> related or not.

Since your user is a domain user, you need to use the '-d' flag indicated
above in
both commands.

Holliston, MA 01746