[1.7] Invalid UTF8 while creating a file -> cannot delete?

Ross Smith rosss@pharos.co.nz
Wed Sep 23 21:31:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> However, if we default to UTF-8 for a subset of languages anyway, it
> gets even more interesting to ask, why not for all languages?  Isn't it
> better in the long run to have the same default for all Cygwin
> installations?
>
> I'm really wondering if we shouldn't simply default to UTF-8 as charset
> throughout, in the application, the console, and for the filename
> conversion.  Yes, not all applications will work OOTB with chars > 0x7f,
> but it was always a bug to make any assumptions for non-ASCII chars
> in the C locale.  Applications can be fixed, right?

In support of this plan, it occurs to me that any command line
applications that don't speak UTF-8 would presumably be showing the
same behaviour on Linux (e.g. odd column widths). Since one of Cygwin's
main goals is providing a Linux-like environment on Windows, I don't
think Cygwin developers should feel obliged to go out of their way to
do _better_ than Linux in this regard.

-- Ross Smith