sftp Key info

Dave M dindenver@yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 20:25:00 GMT 2009

Larry,
  It worked! Thank you so much for all your help! The private key in "id_rsa" file in the .ssh folder is the one used for authentication apparently.
  I really appreciate your vigilance with this issue. I did get good help from Julio, and Mark and Dave K did try and help, but you were there consistently and I just want to acknowledge that and express my thanks.
  If there is anything I can do to help this project succeed, let me know, ok?
Dave m

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:52:48 PM
Subject: Re: sftp Key info

On 09/24/2009 03:47 PM, Dave M wrote:
> Larry,
> Um, OK. I just don't know what questions to ask. I am not sure how it is
> "supposed" to work (sftp), so I am not sure if I am doing it right and it
> is not working or I am entering the incorrect info. Which key needs to be
> on the remote machine, the pub or private key?

As you might expect, the private key is private so that remains on the local machine.
This is a basic tenant of public key authentication.  You only want the public information
known to non-local machines.

FWIW, the information you listed in your previous message as input to whatever
program you're using looked like a good guess to me.

-- Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
Holliston, MA 01746