[1.7] gvim "Cannot fork" error

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi@alice.it
Fri Sep 25 08:30:00 GMT 2009


Christopher Faylor wrote:
> To clarify:  I see nothing in any of the chain of messages that you
> referred to which indicates that this is the same problem.  You're
> asserting that this is the case but not providing any details to
> back that statement up.

I *think* (my guess) it is the same problem because Emacs hangs *only* 
if I open a dialog clicking on one of the three first icons. I use GTK 
builds since Apr 2008 and never seen this. However it is my guess...

In any case some other details.

When I start Emacs:

$ G_SLICE=always-malloc emacs23 -q &

the command 'ps' shows:

---------------------
$ ps
       PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      3848       1    3104        456  con 1006 09:46:21 /usr/bin/XWin
      1464       1    1464       1464    ? 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/mintty
I    2172    1464    2172       3208    0 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/bash
      1852       1    2144       2824  con 1006 09:46:50 
/usr/local/mrxvt/bin/mrxvt
      2692    1852    2692       3644    1 1006 09:46:50 /usr/bin/bash
      3048    2692    3048        416    1 1006 10:11:11 
/usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs
       864    2692     864        372    1 1006 10:11:16 /usr/bin/ps
---------------------

(only emacs process)

When I open a dialog (for example 'Read an existing file...'), then ps:

------------------------------------
$ ps
       PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      3848       1    3104        456  con 1006 09:46:21 /usr/bin/XWin
      1464       1    1464       1464    ? 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/mintty
I    2172    1464    2172       3208    0 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/bash
      1852       1    2144       2824  con 1006 09:46:50 
/usr/local/mrxvt/bin/mrxvt
      2692    1852    2692       3644    1 1006 09:46:50 /usr/bin/bash
      3048    2692    3048        416    1 1006 10:11:11 
/usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs
      1988       1    2624       3080    ? 1006 10:13:04 
/usr/lib/gamin/gam_server
      1452    2692    1452       3956    1 1006 10:13:28 /usr/bin/ps
------------------------------------

(emacs+gam_server) and in /tmp, now I find the directory 'fam-graziosi'

If I close the dialog:

--------
$ ps
       PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      3848       1    3104        456  con 1006 09:46:21 /usr/bin/XWin
      1464       1    1464       1464    ? 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/mintty
I    2172    1464    2172       3208    0 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/bash
      1852       1    2144       2824  con 1006 09:46:50 
/usr/local/mrxvt/bin/mrxvt
      2692    1852    2692       3644    1 1006 09:46:50 /usr/bin/bash
      3048    2692    3048        416    1 1006 10:11:11 
/usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs
      1988       1    2624       3080    ? 1006 10:13:04 
/usr/lib/gamin/gam_server
       876    2692     876       1736    1 1006 10:14:21 /usr/bin/ps
--------

(still emacs+gam_server)+/tmp/fam-graziosi

Now if I quit from Emacs (File | Quit), it hangs for about 30 seconds and:

---------------------------------
$ ps
       PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      3848       1    3104        456  con 1006 09:46:21 /usr/bin/XWin
      1464       1    1464       1464    ? 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/mintty
I    2172    1464    2172       3208    0 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/bash
      1852       1    2144       2824  con 1006 09:46:50 
/usr/local/mrxvt/bin/mrxvt
      2692    1852    2692       3644    1 1006 09:46:50 /usr/bin/bash
      1988       1    2624       3080    ? 1006 10:13:04 
/usr/lib/gamin/gam_server
      3800    2692    3800       1196    1 1006 10:15:50 /usr/bin/ps
---------------------------------

i.e. 'gam_server' is still there while the hanging. Only after the Emacs 
window goes away,

----------
$ ps
       PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      3848       1    3104        456  con 1006 09:46:21 /usr/bin/XWin
      1464       1    1464       1464    ? 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/mintty
I    2172    1464    2172       3208    0 1006 09:46:30 /usr/bin/bash
      1852       1    2144       2824  con 1006 09:46:50 
/usr/local/mrxvt/bin/mrxvt
      2692    1852    2692       3644    1 1006 09:46:50 /usr/bin/bash
      3312    2692    3312       1836    1 1006 10:17:09 /usr/bin/ps
----------

But still we have /tmp/fam-graziosi.


If I do not open a dialog and work with 'command line', for example C-x 
C-f to read an existing file or C-x C-c to quit, there is NO hanging or 
gam-server process.

I suspect (still my guess) that, really, is gam-server which is hanging.


Cheers,
Angelo.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list