ls / does not show /c with cygdrive prefix=/

Chris Cormie cjcormie@gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:19:00 GMT 2009

Mikel Ward wrote:
> Hi All
>
> If I use a standard install with the cygdrive prefix as /cygdrive, the
> drive letters appear in a directory listing:
>
> $ ls /cygdrive
> c d w
>
> But if I change cygdrive to /, they don't:
>
> $ mount -c /
> $ ls /
> Cygwin.bat   bin        dev   home   opt    sbin   usr
> Cygwin.ico   cygdrive   etc   lib    proc   tmp    var
> [ends]
>
> But of course, they are there:
>
> $ ls /c
> $Recycle.Bin          PerfLogs
> [...]
>
> That's as Administrator.  Adding the -s flag to mount doesn't help,
> neither does a reboot.
>
> Is there any way to make /c, etc. appear in the listing?
>
> I'm running on Windows Server 2008 64-bit with Cygwin DLL 1.5.25-19.
>
> cygcheck on request.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> --

Hi Mike,

I found a solution, but it seems a bit hacky: create directories for the
drives you want to see in the root directory. I created a directory "e"
in my c:\cygwin directory: c:\cygwin\e using Windows Explorer and
restarted the Cygwin shell: now
$ls
Cygwin.bat
Cygwin.ico
bin
cygdrive
$ls /e
works as before

I couldnt' do it from within Cygwin:
$ mkdir /e
mkdir: cannot create directory `/e': Permission denied

  I thought it might be because the filesystem was mounted, but:
$ mount
e: on /e type system (binmode,noumount)

doesn't look like like I can umount the driveletters while cygwin is
running, hence using Windows Explorer on the Cygwin install.

All in all I wonder if the lack of driveletters under / is a symptom of
using the wrong method of getting rid of the cygdrive prefix?
Cheers,
Chris