ftp from Win98 in command-only mode?

Steve Kleene skmpl@syrano.acb.uc.edu
Mon Sep 28 19:34:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:11:25 -0400, I wrote:

> I need an ftp client that runs on an Intel x86 machine running Win98 SE that
> has been booted into mode 5 ("Command prompt only").  Can cygwin provide
> this?

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:15:45 -0400, Larry Hall replied:

> I expect that the FTP client that comes with the "inetutils" package from
> Cygwin (1.5 for O/Ss < NT 4.0) would work for you.

Thanks, that might be worth a shot.

> But correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Win98 have it's own command-line FTP
> client.

If I call Win98's ftp from command-prompt only mode, I get

  This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

When my company had a Novell server, I could load the NIC drivers and connect
from command mode.  Since they've switched to Windows Server 2003, I can't
even connect from full Win98, even after doing all of the mods suggested by
M$.  That's why I'm down to trying ftp or scp.

I can backup via ftp or copying to a flash drive if I want to wait for full
Win98 to boot.