How to properly set up a chrooted environment

Fri Apr 2 00:47:00 GMT 2010

On 01/04/2010 21:46, d.sastre.medina wrote:

> And this is just for testing/learning purposes and fun.

  That's of course fine; anything you run for yourself in your own private
network isn't a problem, but it's worth being explicit about this:

>> There is no manual for chroot on cygwin, because no one here recommends
>> doing it for anything serious.

  I would never recommend exposing *any* Cygwin server to the
internet-at-large at all, ever.  Although Cygwin doesn't introduce any
vulnerabilities into applications that don't already have them, it does make
it significantly more likely that you can escalate your privileges anywhere
you can log in even as a restricted user.

    cheers,
      DaveK