Making package installation default

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Sat Apr 3 05:34:00 GMT 2010

On 04/02/2010 10:19 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> If you don't mind fiddling around with the setup.ini file, then the key
>> thing is to edit this file and change the category of the desired packages
>> to "Base".

I did look (quickly) into setup.ini to see if there was an obvious thing
to do. It was not apparent to me that that thing was to change category
to "Base"
> There's no need to edit setup.ini.  Just use the -P option and name the
> packages you want to install in a comma separated list.  The packages
> you list, those packages' dependencies, and all of the base packages
> will be installed.
>
> It gets even better once you look through the other command line options
> listed with --help because you can automate installation selections to
> the point that the users don't have to do anything more than run your
> batch file.  They won't have to interact with any of setup.exe directly.
>   The only thing they will see is the window showing the package
> installation progress which they can cancel if they choose.

A "silent" install might be cool but I can also see that it would be
useful to allow to user to browse though some of the optional packages.
For example, while maybe not everybody would want gcc and make, some
may. Or perhaps they want Perl or Apache. However I want to make sure
that ssh is installed (it'd be nice if I could automate the running
ssh-host-config, for example) so that I can ssh into their machine to
fix things.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why is bra singular and panties plural?