qt3 silently fails to install?

Mon Apr 5 20:25:00 GMT 2010

On 05/04/2010 21:03, Tim McDaniel wrote:

> I don't know of anything that I have installed that uses qt3* -- at
> least, I suppose that setup.exe would have complained if any Cygwin
> package needed it, and surely it's unlikely that anything outside
> Cygwin would need it.  So I may just remove both and leave them
> uninstalled.  Still, I thought I should report this oddity.
>
> (While I'm here: out of curiosity, why does qt3's description say
> "(sources)" when the "Bin?" box is checked?)

  The whole thing is a known glitch that arises with dummy empty
"meta-packages" (qt3 is one, gcc4 another) that are used to pull in a group of
packages as a whole through their dependencies.  It can be ignored; it does
nothing and has no effect, so just leave it there and you'll be fine.  It's
not even actually installing anything repeatedly.

    cheers,
      DaveK