man pages showing special characters

Durwin De La Rue thecajun@nmia.com
Wed Apr 7 17:57:00 GMT 2010

I have searched the archive on this with complicated results.

First, I am using latest version of cygwin.  I normally use rxvt.  But
after having this issue with it, and finding information that mintty
does not have the issue, I started using mintty.  My first attempt to
fix the issue in rxvt was successful (export LANG=C).  However, at some
point it failed.  LANG is the same, but I again was getting special
characters where a hyphen (and quotes and other punctuation)  is suppose
to be.  That is when I started using mintty.  It worked right off no
problems.  However *now* it is doing the same.  I have tried setting
LANG and LC_ALL to en_US.utf8 but nothing is helping.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Durwin