[Fwd: Blue screen when running installation *.sh]

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis@gmx.de
Fri Apr 9 18:56:00 GMT 2010

High all, I'm first time here, so please excuse beginner faults.

Referring to: http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg00161.html :

 > Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

 > On 01/05/2010 09:29 AM, Paul Keusemann wrote:

 > On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:03:13PM -0000, tim@lorien.demon.co.uk wrote:

 > I have previously used Cygwin 1.5 successfully, but thought I should
 > report a possible issue with the newer 1.7.1 version.

 > My XP workstation blue screens reliably when doing the final steps of the
 > Cygwin 1.7.1 installation somewhere in the /etc/postinstall/*.sh scripts.
 > The blue screen indicates the problem is with ibmfilter.sys and upon

 > [snip]
 >
 > I have run into the same problem. Output of cygcheck.out is attached.

 > Same driver problem?  If so, the solution is to get the updated driver
 > that fixes the bug in the driver.

 > In general, Cygwin can't make workarounds for all the bugs in all the
drivers
 > that are out there. On occasion, it *may* make sense for Cygwin to
workaround
 > Windows kernel bugs, since these could affect everyone, not just
those who
 > have this or that buggy driver. But really, even in this case, the
best solution
 > is to fix it at the source. Otherwise, the bug will just bite you
again when you
 > do some other operation with some other app.
 >

 > According to Lenovo:
 > IBMFILTER.SYS may cause a Stop Error Message, or Microsoft Windows
may stop responding with an error message on a blue screen, or the
system may restart just after the error message.

 > *Affected configuration*
 >
 > Any of the following systems with an installed version of 2.00.0170
or older of the Rescue and Recovery software and running Microsoft
Windows 2000 or Windows XP:

Mine:   ThinkPad R52

I have a newer version of the Rescue and Recovery software on my Windows
XP SR-3, 2.02.0178, but have exatly that problem
anyway after installing latest CYGWIN 1.7.4-1 while postinstall.

Is there any idea, what I alternativly can do ?

Greg Cicares suggested:
 > Google shows that 'ibmfilter.sys' causes BSODs with many applications.
 > As a workaround, you might try rebooting into "safe mode" (to prevent
 > that driver from loading), then running the postinstall scripts in
 > that environment.

Does anybody have had success after rebooting into "safe mode" as Greg
Cicares suggested ?
Aren't there any risks, doing that?

How to start the postinstall scripts manually ?

Thanks,

-Ulf