1.7.5: cygwin programs throw STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION exceptions

Mon Apr 19 14:48:00 GMT 2010

On 4/19/2010 7:44 AM, Yuval Emek wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:32, Christopher Faylor
> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please...>  wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Feeding spammers just makes
them hungry.

<snip>

>> p.envptr is supposed to be filled in by the call to _cygwin_crt0_common
>> in cygwin_attach_dll.  It is supposed to be set to the address of the
>> "environ" variable in the DLL.  It is not supposed to be NULL.  That
>> assignment should actually not even be necessary but the fact that
>> envptr may be NULL is a problem.  Of course, it could just be some
>> non-NULL garbage too.  Running in gdb and getting a stack trace would be
>> instructive.
>
> Can you be more specific? (I have been using cygwin for a while, but I
> never debugged it beforehand.)
> I can install gdb using setup.exe . What should I do then in order to
> obtain a stack trace?

Grab a snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.  You want the DLL
and debugging info at least.

Holliston, MA 01746