1.7.5: cygwin programs throw STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION exceptions

Tue Apr 20 14:26:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:19:28AM +0300, Yuval Emek wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> ? ?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>><http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. ?Feeding spammers just makes
>>>them hungry.
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Grab a snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>. ?You want the DLL
>>>and debugging info at least.
>>
>> And, assuming that you can actually run gdb, just "gdb bash" and then "r".
>
>I installed gdb and then downloaded the (latest) snapshots of
>cygwin1.dll and cygwin1.dbg and extracted then to /bin/ (replacing the
>previous cygwin1.dll) .
>Running gdb bash seems to fail since there are no debugging symbols.
>In particular, when typing r in the gdb prompt, I get the following
>output:
>
>Starting program: /usr/bin/bash
>[New thread 3800.0x15b4]
>(no debugging symbols found)
>(no debugging symbols found)
>(no debugging symbols found)
>[New thread 3800.0x13f4]
>
>[1]+  Stopped                 gdb bash
>
>(Makes sense, I guess, as bash was not compiled with debugging info.)
>Can I download debugging info for bash from somewhere? (As far as I
>understand, I don't even have the source code for bash.)
>Is there something else I can do?

I'm not interested in bash symbols.

In the above it sounds like you may actually be running gdb from bash.

I suggested bash because I thought most cygwin programs were dying but,
on rereading the original report, you only mentioned xterm, emacs, and
subversion.  So, the thing to try would be to run gdb on one of those
from a c:\> prompt.  And, it really would be as simple as just typing:

gdb svn
bt

and reporting the backtrace.

cgf