Getting characters to display properly in Cygwin/RXVT/man pages

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Apr 29 05:35:00 GMT 2010

On 04/27/2010 08:49 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 4/27/2010 10:45 AM, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> When running a bash shell in rxvt and doing a man page I get weird
>>> characters in man pages especially around the often used "-"
>>> character. I've read about a few solutions, most revolving around
>>> UTF-8 and less and none of them fixing the problem totally. How do I
>>> set up rxvt such that man pages work?
>>
>> alias man='LANG=C.ISO-8859-1 /bin/man'
>
> Better yet, use mintty instead of rxvt. Rxvt is abandoned anyway, and
> mintty is an excellent replacement with support for UTF-8 and much more.
I've heard much about mintty but haven't looked into it in depth. I like
rxvt because it pays attention to ~/.Xdefaults. Does mintty?

I was using a non-Cygwin terminal emulator called Console (IIRC). It had
the nicety of being able to do transparent terminals (with some
oddities). Can mintty do that? Another thing about Console that was nice
is that it handled the pty issue, I believe by actually running the
Windows cmd prompt window but hidden and then grabbing characters and
the and translating them back to the Console window. That was nice
because things like Cleartool and cqperl (with -d) worked and i use that
stuff all day at work. If mintty handles that then perhaps I'll switch
to that.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
5 days a week my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.