NIS/yp ported?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Apr 30 05:48:00 GMT 2010

On 04/29/2010 09:46 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> I'm just curious - I have a function that I use on Unix to do
>> basically a ypcat passwd | grep -i $@. It's very useful in looking up
>> users especially since ore and more corporations use anonymous
>> numbers or IDs to represent people. But I have to log into the Unix
>> system to do it.
> Are similar/identical IDs created for those users in the Windows
> domain? If so, you can use mkpasswd in place of ypcat passwd to get
> something
> roughly equivalent.
Now that's an idea! You got me thinking. I'm really just using this
function as a quick look up of info so that I can quickly say "Well this
user id, d23834 is really John Smith" or "Well Smith's user id is
d23834". mkpasswd might do that for me! (I know also that I could script
up calls to net user but it's not as straight forward).
>> I was wondering if there was a cygwin port of NIS or YP so that I
>> could do this ypcat from within Cygwin.
> I haven't heard of this being available, and a search doesn't turn up
> ypcat in any Cygwin package. However, someone apparently ported the
> Linux tools to Cygwin at one time:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-09/msg00144.html
>
> Too bad the message didn't include any instructions and only refers to
> a website which appears to be dead now.
Ugh. Well mkpasswd might suffice... Thanks.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Cranial-rectal inversion disorder - a condition where one's head is