ash start-up issue

Tue Aug 3 04:24:00 GMT 2010

On 8/2/2010 8:11 AM, Steven Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:34, Steven Collins<>  wrote:

>>> I didn't see anything that caught my attention beyond the services, which
>>> we covered.  That doesn't mean there isn't something else of course. ;-)
>>>
>>> BLODA is indeed a pain.  The fact that there is no transparent way to
>>> deal with it makes it worse.
>>>
>>> Since you have 2 identically configured machines with one seeing the
>>> problem and one not suggests that there's a way to "fool" the BLODA
>>> in question.  Understanding that would be helpful.
>> Since I don't see any other options open to me I'm in the process of
>> doing a complete, clean, reinstall of Cygwin. I'll post the results of
>> that installation when it is complete. Most likely that won't be until
>> Monday or later.
>>
>> The one thing I have thought of since my last post is that I did at
>> one point attempt to get cygports installed on this machine. That is
>> something I've not done with the other. I ran into some sort of
>> problem with that install and gave up on it. I already had cygwin
>> installed when I tried to do the cygports install. I didn't start over
>> from scratch for that, despite the process talking about downloading
>> locally first. I doubt this is the source of the issue, but it is a
>> difference between this computer and all the others I have set up with
>> cygwin at work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steven
>>

> Just got into the computer that I left re-installing Cygwin from
> scratch. First thing I tried is starting ash.exe from a cmd prompt.
> Works fine now. Anything more we can try at this point to figure out
> the source of the problem? I still have the install that wasn't
> working in C:\cygwin.old. It would be nice to end this conversation
> with a conclusion and maybe even a better fix than re-installing for
> the next person that sees this type of scenario.

If reinstalling worked, then that says to me that there was something
(and I suspect some service) that was keeping the old cygwin1.dll loaded
even after you killed all the other Cygwin apps.  I don't know what that
would be since it wasn't obvious from your cygcheck output, unless you
have a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> installed and hiding somewhere.
I guess a compare of your old and new cygcheck output may shed light on
this or some other difference.  You could also do a diff of the old and
new installations looking for clues.  And then there's the old search
of your drives for 3PP cygwin1.dlls chestnut.

> I had sshd configured under the original install. Can anyone tell me
> what files I need to grab from my cygwiin.old in order to get the same
> configuration I was using. I could re-run the configuration script,
> but then I believe all the computers that I connect to this one would
> warn me about a known hosts mismatch. I'd prefer to avoid that if I
> can.

Yep.  Still I'd start by running the script, since that will set up the
service properly.  Then stop sshd, copy over /etc/ssh* and ~/.ssh from
the old installation, and restart sshd.  That should do it.  That said,
I haven't tested this procedure to make sure nothing important got left
out. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746