Cross-compiling for i686-pc-mingw32

Sisyphus sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 7 13:47:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

With cygwin-1.5.25 I can cross-compile libraries for native win32 by
starting with the following configure command:

./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin
CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' host_alias=i686-pc-mingw32

and that has worked fine on the few occasions that I've tried it.

However, with cygwin-1.7.5, it doesn't work.
To begin with, '-mno-cygwin' now causes an error - so I've tried removing
the CC argument and leaving the rest of the command unchanged. Then the
building of the library (currently proj-4.7.0) works fine - but the
resulting library is built for i686-pc-cygwin, not for i686-pc-mingw32.

Do I need to run a different configure command ?
Or have I missed something ?

Attached is the config.log for one of my cross-compilation attempts.
In it I see:

configure:3745: checking build system type
configure:3763: result: i686-pc-cygwin
configure:3785: checking host system type
configure:3800: result: i686-pc-mingw32

However, proj.exe (one of the executables that gets built) needs the cygwin
dll in order to run.
With cygwin-1.5.25, proj.exe is definitely a win32 app (doesn't need the
cygwin dll).

Cheers,
Rob