[ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin

Rob Walker rwalker@qualcomm.com
Wed Aug 11 06:33:00 GMT 2010

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:04:47PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:

>>> I don't need help.  I've been building make for years so I obviously
>>> don't need your script.
>>>
>> Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
>> here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
>> that's too simple.  What else is involved, and can I help with that?"
>>
> Once again: Don't need help.
>
> If you are thinking about maintaining a cygwin package then watch what
> is being discussed in cygwin-apps

I am thinking about maintaining a Cygwin package.  I have re-subscribed
to cygwin-apps to try to get de-noobed.

> and read the "Cygwin Packages" link on
> the Cygwin web site.

I've read that page pretty closely.  The result was my construction and
offer of make-3.81-4 Cygwin packages to address the lack of support for
colons in paths, and later, make-3.82 Cygwin packages.

> If you have a general question about cygwin
> packages then ask it.

My general question was: "What requirements does a package maintainer
need to consider, what tests must pass, etc. when constructing a Cygwin
package from an upstream release?"  The answer (which I am paraphrasing
from Larry Hall's response on the matter) seems to be basically:
"Whatever the package maintainer thinks is right."

-Rob