Postinstall script errors

Thu Aug 12 09:59:00 GMT 2010

On Aug 11 09:18, Jeremy Ramer wrote:
> I recently upgraded from cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. At the end of the install
> there were errors with some of the postinstall scripts.  From the
> setup.full.log:
>
> 2010/08/11 08:39:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> /etc/postinstall/bash.sh
> ln: creating symbolic link `/dev/stdin': File exists
> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 abnormal exit: exit code=1
> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
> 2010/08/11 08:39:55 abnormal exit: exit code=1
>

> I tried manually running the scripts with mixed results
>
> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/bash.sh ; echo $?
> 0
>
> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh ; echo $?
> 1
>
> I tired manually running the commands inside passwd-grp.sh and they
> all return 0. So I'm not sure what exactly is failing.  Is there
> anything I should do to investigate?

That's probably a fault in the postinstall scripts.  It would be nice if
you could provide more details about what fails exactly in the script,
or better, what in the script has a non-0 exit code.  That would help us
lazy maintainers to fix the scripts faster.

Keep in mind that the dialog providing info about failing postinstall
scripts is very new.  I'm quite sure that we have a couple of scripts
which return with a non-0 exit code but the maintainers just don't know
it yet, and I don't take myself out of the picture.

Corinna

Red Hat