cygwin 1.7 lock directory problem

Wed Aug 18 08:58:00 GMT 2010

On Aug 18 01:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 01:05:13PM +0800, Huang Bambo wrote:
> >>Do you have a series of steps that produces the problem you see?
> >>

> >As I said in previous mail.
> >1. cd /cygdriver/i    ( I is mounted as a usb-stick)
> >2.  cd /proc 3.  Use some tools such as Unlocker to check driver I,
> >Unlocker said driver I is locked by bash.
> >4. cd /          ( / is at d:\cygwin )
> >5.  do the same as step 3, driver is not locked by bash.
>
> That's how Cygwin 1.7.5 would work.  I would expect different behavior
> for 1.7.6.

No, that's also how 1.7.6 works.  I documented this behaviour in
path.cc:

  /* Note that we don't set the dir handle to NULL for virtual paths.
     The handle is used to generate a stackdump file.  Since we can't
     create a stackdump in a virtual path, we have at least *some*
     directory handle to generate the stackdump in.

     However, note that we have to make sure that we don't use the handle
     wrongly as soon as we start to use it in other cases as well. */

Looks like this behaviour is a problem and we should better close the
old handle.  What to do with the new one?  Just set it to NULL and
disallow stackdumps as long as we're in a virtual path?  Or set it to
some well known path, like Cygwin's root?

Corinna

Red Hat