X-forwarding very very slow

Alberto Canestrelli canestrelli@idra.unipd.it
Wed Aug 18 15:43:00 GMT 2010

Hi,
I have a problem with Cygwin. I am connecting from USA by ssh to the
Hector supermachine in Edinburgh ( I write "startx" in Cygwin and then I
use  "ssh -Y  v1acanes@login.hector.ac.uk" ). Everything works fine, the
only problem is that the forwarding of the windows is very very slow. It
takes sometimes also up to 5 minutes to open a new window. I am
debugging a code with Totalview and it is a impossible to work. I am in
contact with the Hector support and with their computer they tried to
run Cygwin under windows and connecting by ssh (exactly like I am doing)
and they say that x-forwarding  is fast. My version is:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3) 2009-12-07 11:48

while their version is:

CYGWIN_NT-6.0 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34

So my version is more recent. I do not fell like to downgrade Cygwin,
everything works well save the slow X-forwarding. Any suggestion please?

Thank you very much
best regards
Alberto