"run" changes behavior with cygwin-17.6

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 19:58:00 GMT 2010

>> I'm not convinced such a compromise would be worthwhile, because it
>> would forfeit Linux compatibility while still breaking some
>> Win32-using programs. I think it should be one way or the other:
>> either stick with the current approach, or always sync the Win32
>> working directory up-to-date (except when that's not possible).
>
> The question here is a bit tricky, me thinks.
>
> 1) Do we want as much POSIX compatibility as possible?

POSIX allows the refusal to delete an in-use directory; and Solaris NFS
mounts behave this way.  But since Linux can delete in-use directories
(where an in-use directory includes the condition of at least one
process owning that directory as its cwd), and cygwin emulates Linux
rather than POSIX, we can try harder if it makes sense.