Bug tracker

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenko@bifit.com.ua
Fri Aug 20 09:29:00 GMT 2010

On 19.08.2010 23:11, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 01:59 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> Of course the quality of the defect tracker is directly related to the
>> effort the maintainers put in to keep it relatively pruned and
>> organized.  Maybe that is too much to expect for most maintainers at
>> this time.
>
> Bingo.  That's why I'm perfectly happy with mailing lists and no extra
> burden of a web-based tracker for the packages I maintain on my spare
> time.  Why add overhead to a process that already works for me?

Agree.

I use Thunderbird as MUA. It allow filtering message by many condition.

For example if I interesting in Bash or Emacs I make filter that check
Subject for entry  'bash' or 'emacs' keyword
and STAR this letter in folder to get more attention and
copy to 'Important' folder as I always chech this directory.

So if someone properly report issue/news I get attention.

For search for already reported issue I use GMANE:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin

or in google: site:http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin KEYWORD
site:http://news.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin KEYWORD

So with mail list you can be NOTIFIED in realtime and
effectively SEARCH for already reported issue.