Wrong/ inconsistent responses from diff

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Tue Aug 24 13:23:00 GMT 2010

 >> Would you mind to paste the file content of /etc/fstab and, if it
 >> exists, /etc/fstab.d/$USER into your reply?

 > Oh and, btw., could you please test if this still occurs with the
 > latest developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thanks as usual for taking an interest and trying to help with this.

I have identified where the strange behaviour is induced on my system:

~> mount -p
Prefix              Type         Flags
/cygdrive           user         binmode
~> mount -c "/"
~> mount -p
Prefix              Type         Flags
/                   user         textmode

The change from binmode to textmode seems to be induced by the command
mount -c "/" which I issue because I do not like having to use the
longhand /cygdrive. I missed this in earlier posts because the line
mount -c "/" is usually part of my ~/.bashrc and I'd forgotten it was there.

The phenomenon occurs with cygwin-1.7.6 and the current snapshot
cygwin-1.7.6s (20100822) but it did not occur with cygwin-1.7.5.

Any luck mimicking this?

Here is where it gets awkward: I don't have a /etc/fstab or
/etc/fstab.d/$USER. I think I never had the latter and lost the former
at some point. Not having it, didn't seem to matter. And, sorry, I can't
even remember what it's for: even the sparsest system seems to have

~> mount
M:/bin on /usr/bin type vfat (binary,auto)
M:/lib on /usr/lib type vfat (binary,auto)
M: on / type vfat (binary,auto)

(or equivalent) hardwired. (The command umount with any arguments seems
more or less ineffective?)

Any luck mimicking this if you temporarily rename your /etc/fstab?

As you can see (awkwardness #2?) I operate exclusively from the root of
a portable drive. So possibly one or both eccentricities contributes to
the unwelcome mode change: but, as I say, it never occurred with
cygwin-1.7.5.

What does your /etc/fstab say? Maybe I should use it and report back.
But as a lover of sparse systems it's a pain to introduce even 1 file
where previously 0 files did the trick.

Thank you.

Fergus