Emacs and DBUS

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Aug 25 14:20:00 GMT 2010

On 8/24/2010 11:28 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Ken Brown  writes:
>
>>> After installing that library, Emacs did start. How ever, it blocks
>>> when loading dbus.el.
>>
>> Don't you normally have to start a D-BUS session before loading
>> dbus.el? Maybe one of the Cygwin people who uses D-BUS can tell us how
>> to do that.
>
> I've started the session bus via dbus-launch in advance, of course. I
> have no idea, how to start the system bus in cygwin, 'though.

Run /usr/bin/messagebus-config and follow the instructions for
installing messagebus as a service.  You will need to be logged in as a
user with administrator privileges for this.

> Emacs' D-Bus code shall be resistent in case of absence of a bus, but
> who knows ... how could I debug it via gdb?

The executable /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe is stripped; that's why you
couldn't debug it.  Here's a link to the unstripped version, with debug
symbols:

   http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/emacs-nox.exe.bz2

Ken