associating device names with cygdrive directories

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 25 20:03:00 GMT 2010

  On 8/25/2010 2:49 PM, Charles D. Russell wrote:

     What is the best way to find or predict the association of a given
/dev/sd?
     with the corresponding /cygdrive/?. Is there a good way to verify the
     assignment before writing to the device with dd?

I think this link should help a little:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices>

The POSIX device names are generated from the Windows information/layout
of these devices.  So your best bet is to look to Windows to get the
device number <-> drive letter association and then fill in the rest
from there.
________________________

I had read that reference, but don't see how it helps to find whether a
given USB storage
device is sda, sdb, or whatever. I found that a flash drive was /dev/sdc
by unplugging all other
USB devices and trial-and-error with dd if=/dev/sdc |od|less, but there
must be a better way. I want to use multiple USB devices at the same
time, and they don't all have stuff on them that I can recognize in
binary. On Linux, the mount command reveals the association between
filesystem names and /dev/ names, but Cygwin mount doesn't tell.

The cited reference mentions "NT internal device" names, but I don't
know what those are or how to
find them. Is there some connection with the device numbers revealed by
the Control Panel under "Windows Computer Management/Storage/Disk
Management"?