Executable named "[.exe" in c:\cygwin\bin?

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 23:52:00 GMT 2010

>>>     `-e'
>>>           Exit immediately if a simple command (*note Simple
>>>           Commands::) exits with a non-zero status, unless the command
>>>           that fails is part of the command list immediately following
>>>           a `while' or `until' keyword, part of the test in an `if'
>>>           statement, part of a `&&' or `||' list, or if the command's
>>>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>           return status is being inverted using `!'.  A trap on `ERR',
>>>           if set, is executed before the shell exits.
>>>

>> Yes, in theory.  In practice, I've seen too many shells goof this up.
>
> Maybe in 1986 there was a shell which didn't do this properly under Ultrix.
> I sincerely doubt that any modern shell has a problem.

Then you seriously underestimate the non-portability of 'set -e', even
between different versions of bash.  When the POSIX specification for
'set -e' had to be changed yet again just this year to try and tighten
down all the subtleties, it's no wonder that shells vary widely in its
implementation.

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#index-g_t_0040command_007bset_007d-1719

http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=52