Back to mysql

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Dec 15 09:06:00 GMT 2010

  On 12/14/2010 04:21 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> Cygwin Ports, at http://sourceware.org/cygwinports. A quite amazing
> repository of additional Cygwin packages, all maintained by Yaakov.
>
> Thanks to recent improvements to Cygwin's setup.exe by Jon Turney, the
> timestamp hack shown on the Ports website is no longer needed, i.e.
> the steps required now are:
>
> 1. Download the latest Cygwin setup.exe from http://cygwin.com.
>
> 2. Launch setup.exe with the -X flag (for allowing unsigned
> repositories). A convenient way to do this is to create a setup.exe
> shortcut and add the -X to its target.
>
> 3. Add and select ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports or one of its
> mirrors (http://sourceware.org/mirrors.html) in the mirror list.
> (Official mirrors and Ports ones can be selected at the same time;
> just hold Ctrl while doing so. Unfortunately there's currently no way
> to tell apart different repositories on the same mirror, but Jon is
> working on that as well.)
>
> 4. Select the packages of your choice and install.
>
> Ports issues should be discussed on the cygwin-ports-general mailing
> list.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm working on a Perl script to gather
information about systems and store it in a MySQL database. As such I
can't always be sure that Cygwin (thus Perl and even DBI, DBD and MySQL)
will be there. Installing DBI and DBD is pretty simply with cpan and to
me Cygwin's a no brainer. But having to install a port of the
mysql-client stuff seems like hacking a bit to far. Any particular
reason why mysql-client is not an official (perhaps optionally
installed) part of Cygwin by now?

I remember working with this a while back (years back actually) and
there was a separate mysql package that somebody put together (probably
from cygports). I just would have thought that by now it would have been
put into Cygwin in a more official manner.

Any thoughts about how to do this without Cygwin (I know, not Cygwin
related then and I'd probably need to get some sort of Perl - can you
say ActiveState! Yuck - and install some Windows based mysql libs or
something like that... Yuck. Cygwin's just so much nicer. Wish mysql was
simply YA Cygwin package).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.