dd to linux partition

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Wed Dec 22 14:11:00 GMT 2010


 >> I installed the fs-driver and it found the drives/file systems
 >> .. however it seems to think the linux partition is unformated

Oh dear. I'm afraid I can't mimic your difficulty.

I checked that my 3 Linux partitions are all accessible to dd even 
though some are on an extended partition, like yours is. All OK. I 
changed their drive labels to "none" using Ext2IFS so that they were 
inaccessible to Explorer as H:\ etc and to Cygwin as /cygdrive/h/ etc. 
But they were still accessible to Cygwin and in particular to dd as 
/dev/sda2 etc. So all still OK.

Can you read/write/copy/move files from/to your /dev/sda5 when 
identifying it as H: (or whatever letter you've given it) in Windows 
Explorer or in a DOS box? And as /cygdrive/h/ in Cygwin?

What do you get from
/usr/sbin/tune2fs.exe -l /dev/sda5
(if anything)?

Fergus


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list