ld: fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL

Tue Dec 28 20:43:00 GMT 2010

Recently I have been unable to link very large libraries, in particular
libgcj (from gcc-4.5.x) and libQtWebKit (from qt4):

collect2: ld terminated with signal 1 [Hangup]
      2 [main] ld 5544 C:\cygwin17\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\bin\ld.exe: ***
fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL

This occurs with recent snapshots, and with both binutils 2.20.51-2 and
a self-built 2.21.  I was able to successfully build gcc-4.5.1 shortly
before 03 October; I last build Qt4 in June.

I have found that this is triggered by the creation of an import library
through the -Wl,--out-implib, flag.  The same link commands, minus the
-Wl,--out-implib, succeed.

Please let me know what further information I can provide.

Yaakov