Is it possible to use any of the cygwin programs without changing registry?

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:57:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM, breako <> wrote:

> Hi,
> so the standard cygwin install is to run the setup. This puts some dll's on
> your file system and would also I presume update your registry.
>
> I'd like to do be able to run some simple cygwin programs such as grep and
> ls without having to run the set up and change my registry.
>
> I am wondering if this is possible.
>
> Thanks.

All you need for ls and grep is the cygwin1.dll and the ls.exe and
grep.exe files.

Stick them somewhere in your path and you are golden.

However if you just want the functionality of these programs without
the whole cygwin environment, check out GnuWin32.

Oh, don't run setup.exe to get the files for cygwin, just download
them and extract them from the tarballs.

If this is an administrative rights issue, you can run setup.exe and
choose to install just for the current user.  It will only update your
user registry and not the local machine registry.  It works without
admin rights, but only works for the currently logged on user.

-Jason