emacs stalls using 100% CPU

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Feb 11 16:26:00 GMT 2010

On 2/9/2010 2:49 PM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
> Intermittent problem.  It's happening more often again.
> NEW info, when top is run the memory columns (VIRT RES and SHR) data toggles
> Back and forth for COMMAND "emacs-X11" and "XWin".  See attached top log.
> The situation is recoverable with kill -9 of emacs-X11 process.

I think this report probably belongs on the cygwin-xfree list.  But I
doubt if anyone there will be able to help you unless you can provide
more information (which may be difficult with an intermittent problem).
  It would be best if you could find a sequence of steps that reliably
produces the problem.  And the first step (after starting the X server)
should be to run emacs with the -Q option in order to eliminate the
influence of your emacs init files and your X resources.

Ken