AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337

Stephen Grant Brown sg_brown@mcmedia.com.au
Mon Feb 15 04:15:00 GMT 2010

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your quick reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"

> On 02/12/2010 03:45 PM, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
>> Hi Larry
>>
>> Thank you for your quick reply.
>>

> Trimmed out quoted header that aren't needed and are fodder for spambots.

>>> I highly recommend _not_ running "setup.exe" from within a Cygwin
>>> shell. And actually, I believe this is your problem. Your installation
>>> is now partially out of date and won't run without a reboot. If you
>>> don't have Cygwin running when you install, you won't have this
>>> problem.
>>>

>> When I first started trying to run cygwin 1.7, I thought I read in the
>> installation instructions that 1.5 & 1.7 could be installed at once.
>
> Well, certainly not "at once" but you can install them side by side (no
> Windows pun intended) if you wish.  If that's what you're trying to do,
> I still recommend not running 'setup.exe' from an active Cygwin shell.
> It is also best to close all Cygwin programs and services before
> installing.
>
>> Are you stating that although having the two installed in completely
>> separate directories, that they are still running services at system
>> bootup?
>
> If you have configured services to run, then yes, those will run
> at bootup unless you've configured them not to.  However, I was
> making no direct comment about Cygwin services in my reply.
>
>> I have just now deleted the 1.7 installation, installed it again and it
>> still dies.
>
> I see.  Well, try my suggestions.  If that doesn't help, check for things
> getting in your way, like <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.  You can
> also start a command prompt and invoke 'bash --login -i' and see if you
> get any feedback.

I have checked the BLODA list and got rid of symantec to the best of my
ability. (uninstalled program using windows unistaller,
searched for and deleted any thing with symantec in it's file name.

When I run the cygwin.bat file it just dies ( from desktop, a window opens
then disappears, from the cokmmand prompt nothing.)

I have attached the setup logs, which indicate that there is abnormal exits
from some postinstall shells.

What can I try now?

Yours Sincerely

Stephen Grant Brown