Problems with SU under Windows XP vs. Windows Server

Wed Feb 17 14:29:00 GMT 2010

On 02/17/2010 05:21 AM, Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing difficulties using the SU utility.
>
> What am trying to do is the following:
> From a service (running under SYSTEM account) I want to run SU to get
> a bash shell script executed as a specific user.
>
> - When I do this on my Windows XP 32bit box, all is fine and SU runs my
> script as the user (I verified this by running "whoami" inside the script).
>
> - When I do the very same on my Windows 2003 Server 64bit box, then SU
> hangs forever and I assume it is waiting for a password.
>
> So why is this different behaviour on the two boxes?

'SYSTEM' on W2K3 doesn't have the rights to switch user context.  Try installing
'openssh' and running 'ssh-host-config' to set up the 'cygserver' user and use
that instead.  Or run 'ssh-user-config' and just use SSH for everything where
ever you need it.

Holliston, MA 01746