ssh + patch + $TMP

Kurt Franke Kurt-Franke@web.de
Fri Feb 19 21:13:00 GMT 2010

Charles Wilson <cygwin <at> cwilson.fastmail.fm> writes:

> I ran across an interesting "feature" of remote access today. I was
> ssh'ed in to my cygwin computer, under my normal windows/cygwin account
> name, and tried to run 'patch':
>
> $ patch -p1 -R --dry-run < ../some-patch.patch
> patch: **** Can't create file
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/poFOD7WH : Not a directory
>
> $ echo $TMP
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp
>
> $ echo $TEMP
> /c/Users/CYG_SE~1/AppData/Local/Temp
>
> $ echo $TMPDIR
>
> Obviously, my regular user doesn't have access to cyg_server's AppData
> directory. This is easily fixed, of course, by setting $TMP=/tmp (or
> /c/Users/≤me>/AppData/Local/Temp, if you like).  The question is, should
> this be something that is done by default in /etc/profile (e.g. part of
> the base-files package)?
>
> --
> Chuck

I added a script

   0000000-ssh-session-env.sh

to /etc/profile.d/ to fetch the SYSTEM environment and USER environment
from the registry.
Some Variables like PATH are preserved.

The login performance via ssh is degraded in comparison without this script.

If you are interested I can email it to you.

Or is it possible to post it here (Size 4897 Bytes) ?

Regards

kf