netstat for reporting only TCP and UDP end points

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:44:00 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Karthik Balaguru
<karthikbalaguru79@........> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Christopher Faylor
> <..............> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 06:11:46PM +0530, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
>>>I have been trying to use the command of 'netstat -a -n -f inet' to
>>>generate a report on all network end points not just the ESTABLISHED
>>>(-a option) by printing the IP addresses as dotted-decimal numbers(-n
>>>option), but only for TCP and UDP end points(-f inet option). But,
>>>strangely, the '-f inet' option does not seem to work in cygwin.
>>
>> Not so strange.
>>
>> netstat isn't a cygwin command.  It is a native Windows command.
>>

> :-)
> Interesting.
> Then, I think then there is some difference between the windows
> netstat and linux netstat.
>
> Thx,
> Karthik Balaguru

Hello!
Quite so. The one included with the Linux TCP/IP packages provides
much more detail, and even finer details over what is seen, even
including what happens and of course why it does do that. And it is
constantly evolving.

By contrast the Windows one, is based on an earlier one to match their
early BSD derived TCP/IP stack and is only slowly catching up.

However further discussion is decidedly off topic for this group, and
I only decided to say even that much because CGF really didn't want
to.

Should you wish to do so, I am open to off list discussions although I
must warn you there is a contract involved and fees as well.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com