[Packaging error] c3270/tcl3270/s3270/pr3287/x3270

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Thu Feb 25 07:58:00 GMT 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:

> On 2010-02-24 23:31, Peter A. Castro wrote:
>> Moding the makefiles to add a $EXE macro everywhere for these packages
>> would be a large-ish change and not something I'd really want to have to
>> perpetuate. However, I have gone through this "exercise" and will feed
>> back to the owner some "suggestions" on adding said $EXE macro usage ;-)
>>
>> But that's not going to happen for this quicky fixup release. Instead,
>> I've taken the less intrusive (and arguable magical) approach of adding
>> "-s" to the install options for program installs (done handily via an
>> environmental variable override :-).
>
> FWIW cygport's postinstall strip stage now looks for executable files without
> any extension and checks to see if they are possibly .exe's, in which case
> they are stripped (causing the suffix to be added).  Not a perfect fix, but
> it catches most of these cases.

I considered something like this, but it was simple enough to fix it with
a hack :-)

>> x3270, like many traditional X based applications, uses "imake"[...]
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.  Imake isn't so much traditional as downright
> ancient. :-)

Ancient or not, it's still part of X and should work none the less. :-)

>> The man path macro (MANPATH) is being set to "/usr/man", based on the
>> "SystemManDirectory" macro, which, itself, is set based on the "SystemV4"
>> macro in the Imake.tmpl file. It's been a while since I hand-cranked the
>> "World", but I think this file is created by yet another utility and some
>> config (Imake.cf perhaps ?).
>
> SystemManDirectory is defined to /usr/share/man in cygwin.cf, so I'm not sure
> why you are seeing this.  In any case, cygport will automatically move
> /usr/man to /usr/share/man.

I'm not so sure.  SystemManDirectory appears to be set based on SystemV4
in /usr/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:

#include <Imake.cf>
#include MacroIncludeFile
#ifndef SystemV4
#define SystemV4                NO      /* SVR4 */
#endif
#if SystemV4
#define SystemManDirectory /usr/share/man
#else
#define SystemManDirectory /usr/man
#endif

SystemV4 doesn't appear to be set in any of the config/cygwin.* files.
While SystemManDirectory is set in cygwin.cf, it'll be overridden by the
above logic.  I'm not sure why the above logic is there without any
#ifndef's around it, but that's what I see currently.

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>